Thursday 13 January 2011

Barry M nail paint review

I'm a big fan of Barry M cosmetics. For colourful and cheap eye shadows, the dazzle dusts are a firm favourite of mine, and have been in my collection for years. Last year, I branched out to the nail paints they sold and although they weren't the best I've ever used, I loved their quirky shades.

The other day, thanks to the almost constant promotions that Boots run for Barry M, I picked up two new paints and a lipgloss. Today, I want to talk about the nail paints.

The truth is, I rarely wear nail polish anymore, given that I'm not allowed to in work (boo!) and it seems pretty pointless to constantly be removing it, it would weaken my nails, and I'm just lazy that way. Unless it's for an important night out, I only really wear it now when I'm on holiday. Or on my toosties. But only when I'm wearing sandals. I'm just lazy that way.

But these new colours are special. So special, in fact, that I refused to take one of the shades off for work and wore gloves instead. (*I work in a supermarket and they provide gloves because my hands are always in the fridges and freezers, but I'd never bothered to wear them til now!)

So, to the nail paints. Since I still don't have a camera, look up the colours "Indigo" and "Berry Ice Cream" on their website (link direct to the nail paint section).

Indigo is a fantastic blueish purple, and sits quite apart from the usual dark purples I wear in the best possible way. After 2 coats over a clear base, the colour was vivid, smooth and surprisingly shiny. I didn't even bother with the top coat, although in hindsight I wish I did since it did chip fairly quickly - these hands shouldn't have to do dishes! I took it off using Sally Hansen Nail Polish Remover, the moisturising one with Aloe Vera, which has served me well over the years, but I was left with a little staining around the edges, obviously my base wasn't applied properly.

Berry Ice Cream just screamed Lady GaGa to me. Don't ask, don't know why. But I love it. It's a light lavender colour, and again, two coats over a base it is smooth, but almost matte without a top coat. There is a sort of shine to it, but it's subdued. I'm also happy to report that a day after the application, I broke a nail (well, I'm not happy about that!), and after a quick file down to take away the ragged edges, it didn't and still hasn't chipped. Yup, this is the one I refuse to take off. So I'll have to update you on ease of removal, but given it's light colour I think at the very least it's be less noticeable if any remained.

Overall, I love my two new additions. For £2.99, they're an absolute bargain and even the chipping issue doesn't bug me at that price. There are over 50 colours, some bright, some neon, and some of your more classic shades, so there really is something for everyone! Plus, I just noticed their new product, Instant Nail Effects, priced £3.99, so I'll be checking that out too.

Check them out, if you haven't already! And if you have, what's your opinion on them?


*Barry M don't know me. Like, at all. I don't shop at their website (too dangerous man!) so I'm assuming they don't even get to see my cash or bank details. That goes to Boots. See my policy page for more info on reviews*

No comments:

Post a Comment